Thursday, March 8, 2007

Goodbye News, Hello "USASpace"

OK, so it's not as facile as all that, but it's interesting how USAToday online has relaunched itself as more or less a social networking site, where you're invited to interact with the news stories, rather than be the passive audience for the news. You can leave comments and recommendations on individual stories, and it also is replete with video and blogs.

I'm not sure whether this is a bad thing. I'm used to my news sources being authoritative, and this has the feel of a blog, which I do not deem as being authoritative. After all, if just anyone can go in and add content, how can you vouch for the quality of it?

One thing I don't like, for sure -- it's laid out very poorly. The various areas don't appear properly sectioned off, and it's hard for the eye to track through it very efficiently.

No comments: